Tuesday 5 October 2010

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2010-2011: The Death of the Oceans?

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2010-2011: The Death of the Oceans?

Last night, whilst sitting at home I was flicking through the channels and heard the infamous voice of David Attenborough. Now anytime I hear his voice I know it's going to be a nature program and so I payed a little more attention. Brilliant, there were images of coral reefs and gorgeous blue seas so I settled in to watch. I soon realised that this wasn't a program that was going to leave me wanting to cuddle the lovely fish; this was going to call me to action to do something about the plight of the oceans.

As David Attenborough said "the oceans are the lungs of the world and we are killing them making it impossible for the world to breathe and exist". He wasn't just talking about fish stocks being depleted but other issues such as increased carbon emissions resulting in acidification of the seas, noise pollution affecting whales and dolphins as well as human pressures causing lasting damage to the marine environment.

However, with all of these 'hard to watch' programs there is always a positive message that we can contribute and have an impact. I urge you to take an hour out to follow this link and watch the Horizon episode. Let me know your thoughts. Darren and I are trying to develop some new ideas for next year to get the dive club more involved in environmental issues. If you have any idea's please don't hesitate to send them to me at katy@divecourses.co.uk

Many Thanks, Katy

1 comment:

  1. I also watched the Death of the Oceans episode in BBC Iplayer abroad. I learned a lot from watching it. People must contribute to save these bodies of water.

    ReplyDelete